• Istorie Alma Vii
  • Istorie Alma Vii
  • Istorie Alma Vii

The history

• The village was first mentioned in 1298 in the „Herritus de Alma sacerdotes“ document; the social and historical context, however, shows Alma Vii exists most likely since the early 1200s, when German settlers come to the south of Transylvania for economic and military reasons.

• Part of the village’s name seems to come from the Hungarian word for “apple”. On the other hand, it may be linked to Alma, the young wife to one of the guards of the citadel. The story tells she contributed to a significant victory against the Tatars. The name “Vii” reminds of vineyards that once covered the hills around the village.

• In 1356 Alma Vii is mentioned as a free commune belonging to the town of Medias. During the same period the Evangelical church is built on a hilltop, North of the village.

• In the sixteenth century fortifications were built around the Saxon church in Alma Vii so that it would never be conquered. The Saxons who lived here surrounded it with towers, firing posts and holes for throwing pitch on top of invaders. This way the church also became stronger in the face of weather elements and time. The first level of the bell tower used to be inhabitable and had a fireplace.

• In 1523 King Louis II of Hungary exempted the villages from taxes for three years, after much of it had burned, along with other settlements in the area. In 1532, 57 households were registered in Alma Vii.

• In 1721 the Baroque organ is set up in the church altar. Two years later, documents say 216 people were living in Alma Vii, including 166 Saxons and 50 Romanians. During this period viticulture is very profitable and some administrative documents found in Budapest show that people who worked for the community were exempted from paying taxes. In 1750, in the village lived 7 Roma families bearing the names Arman, Zigaun, Barb and Bartusch, and they don’t own land or other possessions.

• In 1852 the classic style church altar is built up. In 1868 the official language in Transylvania was Hungarian, and the names of the Romanian and Saxon inhabitants from Alma Vii were Magyarized. The existence of the fortified church at the core of the village plays an important part in the ethnic survival of the Saxons.

• In the nineteenth century is a prosperous economic period for the village and the church goes through new transformations. The wooden homes with hay roofs from Alma Vii are rebuilt out of stone and covered by tiled roofs. The village got closer to the appearance that we know today. Between 1896-1904 the villagers of Alma Vii joined their land parcels and started working together, increasing productivity.

• In 1966 the Institute of Historical Monuments does massive restoration works to the church, according to the original plans.

• In 1990 most of the Saxon population already decimated under communism leaves the village, emigrating to Germany.